It is mentioned as early as in 1289. It was established as a four-wing Premyslid castle with a housing palace over the river. It served as the seat of the royal burgrave – the administrator of the Kadan region. It was rebuilt in the mid-15th century. After it had been damaged during the Thirty Years Wars, Maria Therese allowed it to be rebuilt as military quarters in 1750. The castle is currently statically secured; it has a new roof and facade. The eastern wing is used for the municipal library with an internet cafe and ceremonial hall. The Josef Liesler Gallery has been in operation since September 2000. A nursing home is situated in another part of the castle.